I’ve been hearing a lot of queries from our clients about high-definition airbrush makeup technique… “what is airbrush makeup?”, “how does it differ from traditional makeup?” are just a few. Now we’ll be answering these questions through this blog entry. You asked for it, so here it goes….
In a fast-changing world where high-definition cameras for photos and videos are built, high-definition makeup is already a requirement. Be high definition camera-ready using high-definition airbrush makeup technique. HD is not a makeup brand or line but rather, another makeup technique that requires proper tools, equipments and training.
What is High-Definition Airbrush Makeup
– Airbrush Makeup is another makeup technique where makeup is applied
using an airbrush gun and compressor (pretty much the same as spray
painting). This method of application uses an airbrush system to mist a fine
layer of makeup onto the skin. It was once used by makeup artists for
television celebrities and for those on a professional photo shoot. But due to
its high coverage and long lasting effect, it was later on used for bridal
The Airbrush Gun and Compressor
– Unlike traditional makeup (where you rub makeup into your skin), airbrushing sprays a fine mist, so the makeup “sits evenly” on your skin. Airbrush makeup provides flawless coverage (sheer or opaque), by minimizing skin imperfections while giving skin a beautifully natural looking finished result.
Why choose Airbrush Makeup?
– High-Definition. Airbrush makeup looks good in photos (and videos, too!) so it photoshop would no longer be needed. Photos and videos will be released easily.
– Lightweight in look and feel. As my clients always say, “I don’t feel like I’m wearing makeup on”. This is very important on weddings where the nervousness and tension is quite normal and brides tend to sweat. If you can’t feel anything heavy on your face, then most likely the chances of sweating is very minimal.
– Long-wearing. A genuine airbrush makeup, if properly applied, normally lasts from 16 to 24 hours (or more). It is water-proof, sweat-proof, oil-proof, and transfer-resistant.
After the 3rd layout, we were headed to another part of Capones Island when we met strong winds, huge waves, heavy rains and lightning. The whole crew struggled in the boat and everyone was soaking wet. We decided to just headback to Pundaquit where the resort we were staying was. When the pouring rain stopped, we looked at @meiiiicangco and to our surprise, her makeup stayed flawless. Our makeup is indeed disaster-proof. She was still able to make it to her final layout the moment we laid foot at the shore. Another achievement unlocked 😀🏝🏔☔️📸🔐 #experienceFROILANERIK Follow us on IG: @froilanerikartistry #NOFILTER #NOEDIT #FROILANERIKARTISTRY #FROILANERIK #airbrushmakeup #makeupartist
– Non-comedogenic. Airbrush makeup acts as your second skin. So it wouldn’t clog your pores and wouldn’t aggravate acne.
– Full-coverage. It is an excellent way to cover scars or tattoos, dark circles,or even pimple marks.
Bride Gladys is the sister of our former bride/elementary classmate Kristine. Thank you for always trusting our team. Best wishes 😘❤💋 #experienceFROILANERIK Follow us on IG: @froilanerikartistry #NOFILTER #NOEDIT #FROILANERIKARTISTRY #FROILANERIK #airbrushmakeup #makeupartist #bride #wedding #weddingday #makeover #beautifulbride #airbrushmakeupartist #weddingmakeuparist #hmuaPH #muaPH #makeupartistphilippines #igers #instafollow #instafamous #instagood #potd #photooftheday #picoftheday #like4like #tagsforlike #bridalmakeup #inmymakeupchair #igersmanila
– Non-allergenic. It is very gentle even to the most sensitive skin. Touching your face with brushes, sponges or fingers are very minimal so the say good bye to bacteria and waste.
– Offered in a full color range. Colors can be matched perefectly as it has shades from the lightest to darkest.
Why is Airbrush Makeup more Expensive than Traditional Makeup?
– The Airbrush System itself (even though optional) adds an extra cost to makeup artists. And the makeup used for airbrush system is way more expensive compared to traditional makeup. But I hope in time as it is a demand, the price of airbrush cosmetics will go down. Also, proper airbrush makeup training must be undergone to achieve perfect results. Froilan and Erik attended Kryolan Professional Makeup Philippines’ Airbrush Makeup Workshop last January 24, 2012.
Is it harmful?
– First, a trained airbrush makeup artist should not spray makeup into people’s eyes and mouth. We spray them while you sit with your eyes and lips closed. Second, all the ingredients are FDA approved. Perhaps, it is a concern of the makeup artist who experiences chronic exposure to airborne particulates as clients are only exposed for a maximum of 5 minutes. The safety of airbrush makeup is always in a state of debate at will probably take several years before the truth emerges.
What brand does FroilanErik Artistry use in their High-Definition Airbrush Makeup technique?
FroilanErik Artistry uses Kryolan Professional Makeup in their high-definition airbrush makeup techniques. (to know more of Kryolan, click here.)
We use Kryolan Micro-Foundation on Air. Shades 360, 180 for foundation; 810 for eyebrows, contour, nose bridge.
“Micro Foundation On Air represents an innovative make-up concept that has been especially developed for high-definition, digital TV technology. A foundation provided on the basis of Micro Foundation On Air produces a flawless, streak-free and uniformly distributed surface on the skin. This preparation is sprayed on by means of an airbrush gun, without contact and with a maximum pressure of 0.5 bar. The product dries immediately and will not smudge or rub off afterward. Micro Foundation On Air can be easily removed with AquaCleans.”
Kryolan Living colors are our top pick for eye shadow pigments as it can really be applied using airbrush. Our favorite eye shades are Rose quartz, Amber, Copper, Sapphire, Amethyst and Obsidian.
“Vibrant pigments conjure up fireworks of intensive colors on the skin. These microfine pigments have been processed in such a way that they adhere especially effectively to the skin, and that their effects are maintained over a long period. Living Color produces a highly convincing diversity of effects: used as eye shadow, as color intensifier, or for creating the make-up artist’s own airbrush colors with the HD Micro Foundation On Air Colorless Base.
Translucent Powder. We use this as a final powder to set all the makeup that was put on a client’s face.
“This classical powder preparation is characterized by its fineness and high degree of color neutrality. Translucent Powder contains a large share of modified rice starch, unique in its specification. It assures great absorption power and enhances the durability of make-up on the skin. Translucent Powder is outstandingly suited for all professional applications. The fine powder particles produce a comfortable, pleasant wearing feeling.”
Kryolan Brush Cleaner. This brush cleaner is what we use to clean our airbrushes. It smells like a concentrated alcohol and dissolves almost all types of airbrush foundation.
“Special cleaning agent for all make-up brushes, to assure clean and hygienic make-up tools. It can also be used as cleaning agent for air brush guns using HD Micro on Air & Aqua Proof.”